Friday, February 11, 2005

Tyndale's selling policy

I like Tyndale. This is from Tyndale's FAQ section of their website... Tyndale link
FAQ's results
Authors and Books
I'm having trouble finding something you've published/where can I buy your products?

Answer:
Tyndale does not sell directly to the consumer. So, even if we have what you're looking for, you still need to purchase it through a retailer. If you are having difficulty finding a product, it may be out-of-print; in that case, you still need to contact your local Christian bookstore or online retailer to help you find a copy. Tyndale doesn't keep track of each store's inventory and couldn't tell you where an out-of-print book might be. You may purchase our products wherever Bibles are sold, including Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, Crown, Barnes and Noble, Borders and Musicland, and they can also be purchased online.
Click here to use our store locator.

I applaud their policy for not selling direct to consumers. That's got to be a tough one to stick to, when it seems so popular for a publisher to go direct these days.

Regarding the options listed for purchasing their books, I think it would have been nice to see something like "your local Christian Bookstore" in the list. I know, I know. They said that phrase earlier in the answer, but when I got to the end, all I remembered from the list of store options was Borders (my closest non-Christian Bookstore competitor). For some reason or another, my brain tends to remember the beginning and/or the ending of something I've read. Forget all that stuff in the middle. But that's just me. I'm just happy that they mentioned "your local Christian Bookstore" anywhere.

Tyndale is fair. I also tried the store locator, and it lists Christian Bookstores on the left, and Non-Christian Bookstores on the right. Interesting...
~Shane

No comments: